Home > Blog > 2015 > 10 > Upgrading to 7.3: Part 2 - The Upgrade

Upgrading to 7.3: Part 2 - The Upgrade

In part 1 of this series, I talked about preparing for the site upgrade. In this part I'm going to talk about how I did the actual Upgrade.

Before we start, I pulled down the site files and a backup of the Database from the live site. I set both up to run on my local machine, and did some house keeping first. On this particualr site, we were removing a section and some of the DocTypes, so I did that on the old copy first, to make things easier later on. I then took another backup of the database once I was done (in case anything wet wrong and I needed to start again).

Next, I set up a new VS.Net project, and installed Umbraco 7.3 using NuGet, along with some essential stuff, like the core property value converters (also installed from NuGet). Once those were installed, I opened the web.config file for the newly installed copy of Umbraco and set the connection string to point to my old database. I decided against merging in my config values etc at this point, as I wanted there to be as few errors as possible.

With baited breath, I ran the website from VS.Net. I got the Umbraco installer screen, and it flagged that I was running an upgrade rather than a fresh install, hapy days! I clicked the next button, aaaaand got a big fat SQL error. The error message that I got was a bit misleading, as it lists all of the tables etc that aren't in the core install, and I though that was the problem, however, after much digging through the log files, it turned out to be a SQL server permissions issue on the database. I sorted that out and ran the site again. This time, after a couple of minutes, I saw the success screen, and it redirected me to the back office.

I had a click around and everything seemed OK. The two DataTypes that weren't v7 compatible were showing as labels, but everything was working. At this point, I backed everything up again, and then merged in my config files, master templates, scripts, CSS and images etc. If you're updating from a Web Forms site, don't forget to change the default rendering engine to Web Forms from MVC in the umbracoSettings site.

At this point I ran into a couple of issues. the first was that older versions of Umbraco let you have a - in the alias of DocTypes, and the newer versions don't. This particular site had a couple of DocTypes that had - in them, so I had to re-save the DocTypes and restart the App Pool to get rid of the error that was being generated. Next was that the EXSLT extensions were removed in 7, so some of my XSLT broke. Not to worry though, you can get a package for that from the mighty Lee Kelleher. In this particular instance, I don't care about fixing the XSLT, as I'm going to replace all the XSLT with Razor.

The only other issue that I had was that there appears to be a bug in one of the database Migrations that scrambles the order of some of your DocType properties. But that was easily fixed by re-ordering the properties on the affected DocTypes and re-saving them.

Finally, in the Data Types section, I swapped the MNTP pickers from uComponents (which were now labels) ot the new built in one, and as they were set to store CSV, that just worked. The other DataType (Embedded Content) was removed and replaced with Nested Content. This required a bit of set up, and re-entering the data, but it only took about an hour.

At this point, I have a (mostly) functional site, upgraded from 4.7.2 to 7.3. It was much less hassle than I was expecting, and it seems to have worked very well for me. Your mileage may vary, I suspect that for a much more complex site, you'll have a lot more issues, especially if you are using quite a few custom DataTypes.

In part 3, I'm going to cover switching the site over from XSLT and Master Pages to Views, and tidying everything up, ready to go up to the live site again.

Enter Comment